US: Quiksilver swings to Q1 profit
- Q1 net profit of US$15.4m
- Gross margin flat at 50.9%
- Sales drop to $393m
Quiksilver narrowed its loss in the first quarter
US surfwear brand Quiksilver swung to a profit in the first quarter but saw sales decline in all of its geographic regions.
In the three months to the end of January, Quiksilver recorded earnings of US$15.4m. This compared to a net loss of $31.1m a year earlier.
In December, the company unveiled plans to pursue the sale and exit of several more non-core businesses following the divestiture of its Mervin snowboard unit a month previous.
Gross margin in the period remained flat at 50.9%. Modest improvements in gross margins in the Americas and EMEA segments offset increased promotional activity in the APAC segment.
Sales dropped to $393m from $412m a year earlier with declines spanning all of the firm's geographic markets, partly due to negative currency impacts.
In the Americas sales declined 5% to $173m, the EMEA region saw revenues fall 4% to $149m, and in the APAC region sales were down 4% to $70m.
"We continued to execute our Profit Improvement Plan over the last few months," said CEO Andy Mooney. "During the first quarter, we further reduced our expense structure and made progress on optimising our supply chain and laying the foundation for stabilizing and expanding revenues."
Roth Capital Partners analyst David King said Quiksilver’s results "fell short" mainly due to lower revenues.
"Looking forward, ecommerce and emerging markets growth should continue to offset weakness in the Americas and Europe wholesales business should continue through Fall 2014, when new product lines launch and segmentation strategies take hold. We remain impressed by management and its ability to execute a turnaround, but worry that revenue pressures could persist and necessitate more significant cost cuts."
Surf and skatewear firm Quiksilver Inc has continued to disappoint in its third quarter, swinging to a $220.1m loss on asset write-downs, falling sales and late product deliveries....
Quiksilver, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerin...
Fashion apparel, footwear, and accessories business Global Brands Group has widened its net loss in the first half as a result of increased investment in new brand additions....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
Eco-friendly apparel maker Dirtball is suing DC Shoes and its parent company, Quiksilver, over claims of infringement of the Dirtball trademark....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam