JAPAN: Rain dampens Uniqlo sales in June
The early onset of the rainy season hit June sales figures at low-cost retailer Uniqlo's Japanese stores, which registered a like-for-like increase of 0.7%.
The slowdown came despite a 5.4% increase in revenues from the company's direct-run retail outlets in Japan, and a 5.7% increase in overall sales, which includes direct mail and corporate sales.
Uniqlo closed four stores and opened six during June, which followed a buoyant set of figures for the company in May, when like-for-like sales were up 7.9%.
"June existing store sales held flat year-on-year as the earlier onset of the rainy season dampened customer numbers," Uniqlo said.
Fast Retailing Co, operator of the Uniqlo casual clothing chain, is emerging in Japan as the lone champion in a retail landscape that looks predominantly bleak this year. Michael Fitzpatrick looks at ...
Amid the welter of articles looking ahead at trade and business prospects for 2009, three issues dominate the apparel industry. Will anyone stop the slowdown in Western clothing markets? Will the coll...
Persistent cold weather brought record-breaking sales at Uniqlo's stores in Japan in November, surging nearly 36% on last year's figures, the company said....
With its determined president's eyes on the goal of JPY1trn (US(10.7bn) in sales by 2010 and equal footing with the likes of H&M and Zara, Japan's Fast Retailing has confirmed it will be opening it fi...
Japanese retail group Fast Retailing is setting up a joint venture company to make fabric and garments for its Uniqlo casual clothing chain in Bangladesh, as part of plans to create a global supply ne...
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Japanese retail group Fast Retailing has confirmed that it is to start test production in India next year in efforts to boost output in countries other than China....
Fast Retailing Co is to kick-start the hunt for potential future leaders and executives with the launch of a three-year training program that will include lectures from current chairman and president,...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack