UK: Rare Nike Trainers Set To Fetch Record Price
A rare pair of Nike trainers similar to those worn by US basketball star Michael Jordan in the hit Hollywood movie Space Jam are set to go on sale for a world-record £15,000.
The trainers, a pair of Nike Jordan 11 Retros with very rare markings, were part of Nike's Michael Jordan range. But instead of bearing the basketball star's usual shirt number, 23, they have 45, which Jordan wore in the semi-animated film.
The size eights are being sold by London sports shop owner Kashif Sethi, aged 30, who claims they were a gift from an unwitting Nike rep. He was unaware of their value until he took them into the Nike Town store in New York.
Kashif said: "All hell broke loose when the staff noticed the number 45. They almost had to close down the store's basketball section because there was such a fuss.
"One of the staff said he would pay me all his savings - about £3000 - for the shoes." He added: "I keep one shoe at the shop and the other is under lock and key in a safe at a secret location."
A spokesman for the sports wear giant said: "We are aware some of our trainers are very valuable."
According to the Guinness Book of Records the most expensive sports shoes ever made were mink-lined golf shoes with 18-carat gold trimmings and ruby-tipped spikes that fetched £13,600 a pair in 1993.
To view related research reports, please follow the links below:-
Companies: Nike Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
The University of Colorado has agreed to extend its apparel agreement with sportswear giant Nike Inc by ten years....
Sportswear giant adidas has clinched a long-term partnership deal with tennis superstar Andre Agassi, who previously held a contract with archrival Nike....
Independent music label Dischord Records has forced sportswear giant Nike Inc to apologise for unlawfully using artwork from a punk-rock record cover in a promotional campaign for skateboarding appar...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic-shoe maker, said fourth-quarter earnings rose 15 percent, encouraged by sales of high- priced Air Jordan and Shox sneakers....
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing