INDIA: Raymond backs efforts to boost demand for wool
Efforts are underway to boost the uptake of woollen fabrics and garments in India, with a new campaign aimed at dispelling the notion that wool is only suitable for cold climates.
Working with Raymond, the Indian men's wear brand and manufacturer of worsted suiting fabrics, The Woolmark Company has launched a complete new Cool Wool collection for Indian customers.
"India has a tropical, climate and customers avoid wearing wool garments in summer, as they clearly identify the fabric with winter," explains Peter Ackroyd, global strategic advisor for The Woolmark Company.
"We want to negate this notion. Indian customers need to understand the true potential, versatility, and the benefits of using wool in summer. With Cool Wool, we are confident and believe that Indians will fathom the adaptability of wool in summer."
The campaign is launching with a range of garments designed by Indian fashion designer Gaurav Jai Gupta for Raymond. The line, available from April, includes 100% wool fabric as well as blends with natural fibres including silk, cotton and linen.
Cool Wool garments are manufactured from lightweight Merino wool fabrics with a maximum weight of 190 g/m2 and a maximum mean wool fibre diameter of 22.5 micron.
Research is said to have shown that wool performs better than cotton and polyester in the natural management of moisture and temperature, ensuring that Cool Wool keeps the wearer comfortable when temperature rises.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Bangladesh workers in constructive employer talks
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Joint programme to promote compliance in Pakistan
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details