UK: Redundancies "likely" at Umbro
Umbro, which is being sold to Iconix in a US$225m deal announced last last month, employs 384 people, 238 of whom are based in the UK.
A spokesperson for Nike said 190 Umbro employees are being consulted on the next steps to take following the acquisition. "Some will be offered roles at the new Umbro organisation under Iconix, some will stay on for a period of time as part of a transition team.
"Those that don't fall into these two groups will be able to apply for roles at Nike, but there are likely to be some redundancies."
Nike said the acquisition, which is expected to close by the end of the year, will enable the company to focus on its "highest-potential growth opportunities".
In September, Nike inked a sponsorship agreement with the Football Association to design and supply kit for England's football teams, replacing the existing deal with Umbro.
Nike is expected to maintain its position as the most important sports brand in Chile. Nike de Chile’s strategy is to continue organising sports events – such as “Nike 10K” or “Nike 300K” – aimed at i...
Nike México SA de CV plans to continue to position itself as one of the top sports brands in the country. In order to accomplish this goal, it will continue sponsoring local sports celebrities and foo...
Representatives from more than 40 apparel brands and retailers have called for a credible action plan to address workplace safety in the Bangladesh clothing sector as the death toll from last week's R...
Nike has teamed up with NASA and a number of other US government departments to collaborate on developing sustainable materials. ...
Iconix Brand Group, which owns and licenses brands including Candie's and Umbro, has raised its full-year earnings guidance after reporting a 28% increase in first-quarter net profit....
A new study into the impact of the branded clothing sector on the European economy is calling for a shift in thinking when it comes to setting out trade policies to include the full breadth of the ind...
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Apparel software trends 2015: What else to watch?
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide