Sports brand Reebok's president and chief executive said he is "deeply saddened and greatly concerned" after a four-year-old boy is said to have died from lead poisoning by ingesting a charm off a Reebok bracelet.

 

Reebok and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission are now recalling the 300,000 bracelets that have been distributed.

 

The bracelets, which are 8-inch long and have heart-shaped charms, reportedly contain high levels of lead, posing a risk of lead poisoning and adverse health effects.

 

The charm bracelet was provided as a free gift with the purchase of various styles of children's footwear sold at major shoe stores nationwide from May 2004 until March 2006.

 

Reebok said consumers should immediately take the charm bracelets away from children and dispose of the entire bracelet.   

 

The company's president and chief executive Paul Harrington said: "Personally as parents, and professionally as a brand committed to human rights and a healthy, active lifestyle for adults and youth, we extend our deepest sympathies to the child's family. 

 

"We recognise that Reebok has an unequivocal responsibility to publicly address this tragedy and to work very hard to ensure that what might have contributed to this death never happens again."