EU: Refuses anti-dumping duties on Chinese shoemakers
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has refused to reimpose EU anti-dumping duties at 16.5% on five China and Hong Kong-based shoemakers, rejecting a European Commission proposal.
A council communiqué said ministers "rejected a proposal aimed at re-imposing anti-dumping duties on imports of certain footwear with uppers of leather" made in mainland China.
The companies affected were Brosmann Footwear, Seasonable Footwear, Lung Pao Footwear, Risen Footwear and Zhejiang Aokang Shoes.
The decision ends a long legal tit-for-tat battle. The companies had opposed the original duties, which expired in 2011, challenging them at the European Court of Justice (ECJ), which potentially could have sparked a refund.
But the court allowed the European Commission to re-examine whether the duties were legitimate and Brussels this year decided they were and asked ministers to re-impose them.
EU ministers however have now refused re-authorise the duties. The council's communiqué said EU rules did not "oblige the [EU] institutions to re-impose the duties..."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis