EU: Refuses anti-dumping duties on Chinese shoemakers
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has refused to reimpose EU anti-dumping duties at 16.5% on five China and Hong Kong-based shoemakers, rejecting a European Commission proposal.
A council communiqué said ministers "rejected a proposal aimed at re-imposing anti-dumping duties on imports of certain footwear with uppers of leather" made in mainland China.
The companies affected were Brosmann Footwear, Seasonable Footwear, Lung Pao Footwear, Risen Footwear and Zhejiang Aokang Shoes.
The decision ends a long legal tit-for-tat battle. The companies had opposed the original duties, which expired in 2011, challenging them at the European Court of Justice (ECJ), which potentially could have sparked a refund.
But the court allowed the European Commission to re-examine whether the duties were legitimate and Brussels this year decided they were and asked ministers to re-impose them.
EU ministers however have now refused re-authorise the duties. The council's communiqué said EU rules did not "oblige the [EU] institutions to re-impose the duties..."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- PETA calls for wool boycott on “gruesome” exposé
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015