FINLAND: Reima And Nokia To Release 'Smart' Jacket
Finnish leisure wear company Reima has worked with Nokia, the Tammerfors Technical College, and the University of Lapland to develop a range of smart clothing based on GSM-technology. The latest invention is the Smart Shout series, reports Dagens Industri, the Swedish daily. It is a jacket that acts as a hands free set for mobile phone and SMS messages. The idea is to be able to make and receive mobile phone calls, and to talk as normal. The microphone and loudspeaker are integrated into the jacket. Price for the jacket will be around £400. So far the jacket only works with a limited number of Nokia models, 7110, 6210 and 6250. The company has been in touch with Ericsson and Motorola to discuss the possibility of working together. Product development work on Reima Smart Shout will continue somewhat longer than predicted, the company said yesterday. The delay is partly due to the worldwide shortage on components. The product is now expected to be in shops in August 2001.Other smart clothes made by Reima are designed for extreme arctic conditions. They act as a surveillance station, which measures the wearer's state of health.For more information, visit Reima's website at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022