INDIA: Reliance Raises Prices In Time For Festival Season
India's largest textile company, Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), has raised the prices of its polyester staple fibre, polyester monofilament yarn, and polymers effective today (October 3). The company blames higher crude and petroleum prices, but is possibly using the imminent festival season as an opportunity to institute higher prices.The 19 per cent increase, if enforced, will take polyester partially oriented yarn and polyester staple fibre prices from Rs.55.50 ($1.23) per kg. to Rs.66 ($1.47). Prices of intermediaries like PTA and MEG, which are also used by competitors in the polyester arena, and which can also be imported, have been raised a modest 2 to 3 per cent. Festival season in India spans September and October and, together with marriage season, are the two main drivers of durable consumer goods, including textiles, in India. RIL is an aggressive player. It recently raised $11m for a three year period through private placement, the first corporate to do this. The issue opened September 29 and closes October 5.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective