UK: Renewed interest in training fashion apprentices
A renewed interest in UK clothing and textile manufacture is leading to increased activity from employers to take on apprentices to ensure a motivated workforce for the future.
Young people in the UK are being encouraged to apply for training provider Creative Skillset’s new Higher Level Apprenticeships in Fashion and Textiles.
The appeal comes as fashion portal Fashion Enter, which operates a factory in north London producing up to 7,500 garments a week, increases its intake of apprentices after relocating to larger premises.
The not-for-profit organisation said regional training providers had reported increased interest from employers to take on apprentices.
“With signs of a renaissance in UK clothing and textile manufacture, it is essential employers can attract and train highly skilled workers if they are to seize new market opportunities,” said Annie Warburton, head of partnerships at Creative Skillset.
“Creative Skillset is proud to have developed pioneering apprenticeships in fashion and textiles, and to work with leading businesses and trainers to equip the new generation of talent with skills for creative and commercial success.”
Fashion Enter is to hold an Apprenticeship Open Day at its Fashion Studio at the University of East London, at the Knowledge Dock Business Centre on 12 February.
The day aims to bring together leading retailers, clothing manufacturers and potential apprentices, along with Creative Skillset to create a workshop and job fair.
Then, on 14 February, the Fashion Enter factory will open its doors from 10am to 3pm for visitors to see the facilities and meet the staff.
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015