UK: Renewed interest in training fashion apprentices
A renewed interest in UK clothing and textile manufacture is leading to increased activity from employers to take on apprentices to ensure a motivated workforce for the future.
Young people in the UK are being encouraged to apply for training provider Creative Skillset’s new Higher Level Apprenticeships in Fashion and Textiles.
The appeal comes as fashion portal Fashion Enter, which operates a factory in north London producing up to 7,500 garments a week, increases its intake of apprentices after relocating to larger premises.
The not-for-profit organisation said regional training providers had reported increased interest from employers to take on apprentices.
“With signs of a renaissance in UK clothing and textile manufacture, it is essential employers can attract and train highly skilled workers if they are to seize new market opportunities,” said Annie Warburton, head of partnerships at Creative Skillset.
“Creative Skillset is proud to have developed pioneering apprenticeships in fashion and textiles, and to work with leading businesses and trainers to equip the new generation of talent with skills for creative and commercial success.”
Fashion Enter is to hold an Apprenticeship Open Day at its Fashion Studio at the University of East London, at the Knowledge Dock Business Centre on 12 February.
The day aims to bring together leading retailers, clothing manufacturers and potential apprentices, along with Creative Skillset to create a workshop and job fair.
Then, on 14 February, the Fashion Enter factory will open its doors from 10am to 3pm for visitors to see the facilities and meet the staff.
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre