UK: Rescue Package Imminent For Carrington Fabrics
A rescue package is close to completion for a British textile company threatened with closure for the last five months.Carrington Performance Fabrics, which is based at Dewsbury in West Yorkshire, was one of two companies warned in May by owners IPT Group that they faced the possibility of closure. The other company is Lantor Weaving, which is based at Standish in Lancashire.IPT has now revealed that a deal could be concluded within the next few weeks for Carrington. "We have a fairly substantial commitment from a bidder," said IPT's financial director, Douglas Waddell.Mr Waddell would not reveal the identity of the bidder, but he did confirm that it was a UK company. "It is someone in a similar line of business," said Mr Waddell. He added that IPT expected operations at Carrington to continue as now under new ownership.The news will be greeted with relief by the 115 workers at Carrington Performance Fabrics. The company said they had worked hard to improve efficiency in an attempt to save the business. They have been working under a cloud for most of the current year.The news has not been so good, however, for their colleagues at Lantor Weaving. IPT has been unable to find a buyer for the business and 90 out of a total workforce of 111 have now been made redundant. A skeleton workforce is being maintained at the moment to satisfy IPT's existing customers, but that is a purely short term measure."I would expect it to close completely within the next few weeks," said Mr Waddell.Both Lantor and Carrington Performance Fabrics produce fabrics for the apparel, sports and leisure industries. IPT also owns the Elton Cop Dyeing Company at Bury in Lancashire and Textured Jersey in Leicester.IPT has blamed the strength of Sterling and customers switching to overseas suppliers for the difficulties at Carrington Performance Fabrics and Lantor Weaving.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack