UK: Rescue Package Imminent For Carrington Fabrics
A rescue package is close to completion for a British textile company threatened with closure for the last five months.Carrington Performance Fabrics, which is based at Dewsbury in West Yorkshire, was one of two companies warned in May by owners IPT Group that they faced the possibility of closure. The other company is Lantor Weaving, which is based at Standish in Lancashire.IPT has now revealed that a deal could be concluded within the next few weeks for Carrington. "We have a fairly substantial commitment from a bidder," said IPT's financial director, Douglas Waddell.Mr Waddell would not reveal the identity of the bidder, but he did confirm that it was a UK company. "It is someone in a similar line of business," said Mr Waddell. He added that IPT expected operations at Carrington to continue as now under new ownership.The news will be greeted with relief by the 115 workers at Carrington Performance Fabrics. The company said they had worked hard to improve efficiency in an attempt to save the business. They have been working under a cloud for most of the current year.The news has not been so good, however, for their colleagues at Lantor Weaving. IPT has been unable to find a buyer for the business and 90 out of a total workforce of 111 have now been made redundant. A skeleton workforce is being maintained at the moment to satisfy IPT's existing customers, but that is a purely short term measure."I would expect it to close completely within the next few weeks," said Mr Waddell.Both Lantor and Carrington Performance Fabrics produce fabrics for the apparel, sports and leisure industries. IPT also owns the Elton Cop Dyeing Company at Bury in Lancashire and Textured Jersey in Leicester.IPT has blamed the strength of Sterling and customers switching to overseas suppliers for the difficulties at Carrington Performance Fabrics and Lantor Weaving.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack