UK: Retail Giant Debenhams To Create 1,000 Jobs
Department stores group Debenhams on Tuesday posted a jump in first half profits and sales and unveiled plans to create 1,000 jobs through the opening of four new stores.
The company said in a statement hat pre-tax profits in the 26 weeks to March 2 increased 14 per cent to £92.1 million from £80.8m in the year-ago period.
Total sales grew by 8.1 per cent to £937.9m from £867.4m, while like-for-like sales for the past six weeks are up by about five per cent.
The strong results were at the top end of analysts' expectations as they thought Debenhams would be hit by the recent revival of high street giant Marks and Spencer.
Debenhams chief executive, Belinda Earl, said: "It is a competitive marketplace, but we welcome competition and we are very happy with where we are trading at the moment."
The company, which currently operates 97 stores across the UK, added it plans to open four more outlets this year and a further seven over the following three years.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Speakers at this year's ASBCI conference defined the changing landscape of global sourcing and spelt out sourcing options in new world of open trading. They agreed that branding, product differentiati...
Thai Garment Export Co Ltd is Thailand's largest clothing producer. It turns over an FOB value of US$170 million a year and employs 9,500 people. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Hong Kong based...
The UK middle market in clothing could soon cease to exist according to new research. The traditional mass market is being squeezed by value-led retailers on the one hand and smaller fashion multiples...
Department store chain Debenhams has reported a 123 per cent hike in annual profit and said it is optimistic on future growth....
185 workers have been axed from the Adria textile factory in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, as the future of the company hangs in the balance....
Department store operator Debenhams is planning to grow its business into India, and is also considering expanding into the Chinese market....
Department store chain James Beattie has confirmed that it has received a second bid approach for its business, following its agreement to be bought by competitor House of Fraser for £69.4 million. ...
Kevin Stanford, co-founder of upmarket fashion chain Karen Millen, has acquired £28.8 million worth of shares in high-street giant Marks and Spencer Plc....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar