US: Retail sales continue to suffer in April
A slow turnaround in the US economy is not enough to change consumer shopping habits just yet, says the National Retail Federation (NRF), after sales fell in April.
According to its latest figures, retail sales for April decreased 0.4% from March and dropped 1.7% over last year.
Clothing and clothing accessories stores sales decreased 0.5% month-to-month in April and 3.0% year-over-year.
"A depressed labour market and lack of consumer confidence continues to play a role in what people buy and how much they spend," said Rosalind Wells, chief economist for NRF.
"Noticeable changes in consumer spending will take some time as the economy continues to rebuild itself through the rest of the year."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
US retailers posted a mixed bag of results on Thursday (5 November), despite October same-store sales putting in their best monthly performance in more than a year....
Kids aren't the only ones dreading going back-to-school; this year retailers too are fearful that the second busiest shopping season after Christmas will fail to deliver a much-needed boost to their f...
NGC (New Generation Computing) is the latest firm to join the Association for Retail Technology Standards (ARTS) committee to develop retail PLM standards....
The National Retail Federation has selected US fashion firm Polo Ralph Lauren for its Gold Medal Award in retail....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts