UK: Retail sales gloom deepens in October
UK retail sales fell 0.1% by value on a like-for-like basis in October versus last year, with a mixed picture for clothing and footwear stores, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
Total sales rose 1.1% versus last October, which posted a 1.5% rise, making the month the slowest-growing since last November, save Easter, with all categories affected.
“Like a rocket, clothing and footwear sales soared into double-digit like-for-like growth in the first week, but then faded in the latter half of the month, showing that consumers may have bought into autumn/winter collections, but are still too nervous to fill their wardrobes with them,” said David McCorquodale, head of retail at KPMG.
“The recession may officially be over, but it will take a little longer for consumers to feel they can spend freely again.”
BRC director general Stephen Robertson pointed to poor results from the online non-food retail sector.
“Unfortunately, it looks like the modest sales revival we saw in September was something of a false dawn,” he added.
“Excluding April, hit by this year’s earlier Easter, October saw the worst sales growth since last November.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective