UK: Retail Sales Jump 7.6 Per Cent In August
The British Retail Consortium on Tuesday revealed a 4.8 per cent year-on-year jump in like-for-like August sales as a late summer sales burst and steady clothing sector growth boosted results.
The trade group said total sales rose 7.6 per cent last month from 2001, up from 6.5 per cent in July but said retailer should not get too excited just yet.
BRC chief economic adviser, Bridget Rosewell, warned: "We remain concerned about the potential for a sharper slowdown and a loss of confidence by consumers which could easily produce a very difficult time for retailers."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Retailers will be forced to absorb the cost of supporting Italian shoemakers if EU duties on Chinese shoes go ahead, British Retail Consortium director Alisdair Gray said....
The British Retail Consortium has lashed out against the EU's decision to refuse market-economy status to China's footwear makers, claiming it is the first step to unnecessary anti-dumping duties....
UK retail sales showed an improved like-for-like gain during December, but clothing sales took a downturn, according to the latest report from the British Retail Consortium....
UK retailers have enjoyed their first same-store sales growth since March, with colder weather driving up clothing and footwear sales, according to a report by the British Retail Consortium....
Chancellor Gordon Brown has revealed a plan to slash red tape for UK businesses to allow greater flexibility, in a move that may help alleviate fears over stifling EU bureaucracy....
British Retail Consortium director general Dr Kevin Hawkins has lashed out at comments on shoplifting made by Lord Justice Rose in the Court of Appeal....
Same-store high-street sales have fallen for the seventh month in a row as unseasonably warm weather hurt demand for winter clothing and footwear....
UK retailers could be losing millions of pounds off the bottom line due to poor communications between head office and the front line, according to an industry report from Retail Performance Specialis...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Bangladesh calls for duty-free access to US
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022