SOUTH AFRICA: Retailer Massmart reports FY sales increase
- FY sales up 15.5% to ZAR61.2bn
- Comparable-store sales up 9.5%
South African retailer Massmart Holdings has posted a near 16% increase in annual sales on the back of robust underlying sales and the acquisition of stores owned by local cash-and-carry rival Rhino.
Massmart, in which Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake, yesterday (4 July) reported a 15.5% rise in sales to ZAR61.2bn (US$7.53bn) for the year to 24 June.
The retailer said comparable-store sales increased 9.5%, with its Makro wholesale and Masscash cash-and-carry stores seeing like-for-like sales both up 11.6%. It noted the December acquistion of Rhino boosted total sales at Masscash, which increased 16.5%.
Massmart will publish its full financial results on 22 August. In February, Massmart reported a 13.7% increase in half-year earnings.
The company is looking to drive growth across South Africa and the wider continent. In May, CEO Grant Pattison was given the specific task of expanding Massmart's presence across Africa.
US brands and retailers were baling out of Bangladesh even before the fire at the Tazreen Fashion factory killed more than 110 people at the end of last month. And given the subsequent criticism aimed...
Among the most-read comment articles on just-style this year were a look at China's competitiveness and the sourcing potential of Bangladesh and Burma, as well as the challenges facing retailers inclu...
In the wake of recent factory fires in Bangladesh and Pakistan that have killed hundreds of workers, a US-based labour rights group has accused apparel buyers of hiding problems identified in audits....
Activists are to stage candlelight vigils at Edinburgh Woollen Mill stores across the UK this week, urging the retailer to pay compensation to the victims and families of those killed and injured in t...
A group of US lawmakers is calling on President Barack Obama to take action in the wake of the recent fire in Bangladesh to ensure that clothing imported into the US - particularly products for the mi...
The most read stories on just-style this week include clothing and children's footwear boosting UK retail sales in November, a look at where the Tazreen fire leaves Bangladesh, and Reebok announcing i...
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- Factory funding gap has mixed impact in Myanmar
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Bangladesh workers rally for unpaid wages
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Under Armour lifts outlook after Q2 revenue hike
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020