UK: Retailers enjoy "robust" March fashion sales
UK fashion sales grew 4.3% year-on-year in March
Increased consumer confidence, helped by good weather and a strong uptake of new season lines, resulted in "robust" fashion sales for UK retailers in March.
The BDO High Street Sales Tracker found fashion sales grew 4.3% year-on-year in March, with strong performance across the board. Footwear sales in particular appeared to stand out, with consumers stepping out of their winter boots into warm-weather shoes.
Overall like-for-like sales among mid-market retailers increased 3.2% - making this the strongest March for four years. Pent-up demand also boosted like-for-like sales in the homewares and lifestyle sectors, which rose by 2.1% and by 2% respectively.
Non-store sales also performed strongly, up 34.2% year-on-year.
"Retailers who have held their nerve on discounting have reaped rewards as the weather has improved, selling healthy volumes of new stock at full price," said Don Williams, national head of retail and wholesale at BDO.
"This momentum will serve them well as we head into the Easter holidays, which should register strong like-for-like growth given that Easter fell at the end of March last year."
The figures, he added, also suggest footfall is no longer as reliable an indicator as it used to be.
"Quality retailers offering consumers what they want - great products, great customer service, omnichannel buying options and flexible delivery - are able to protect both volumes and margins, despite fewer people physically visiting stores."
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Common themes unite Inditex and H&M supply chains
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry