UK: Retailers record slight sales gains in September
UK retailers recorded a slight rise in sales volumes in the year to September, and expects growth will strengthen somewhat next month, according to the CBI's latest Distributive Trades Survey.
According to the survey, 33% of retailers reported that sales volumes were up on the prior year, and 27% said they had fallen, leaving a balance of 6%.
A balance of 34% of footwear and leather retailers saw sales rise over the month.
"It is encouraging that sales on the high street have seen a slight rise in the year to September, and that retailers expect growth to pick up further next month," said CBI Distributive Trades Panel chair and Asda COO Judith McKenna.
"However, while the squeeze on family budgets may have eased in the short term thanks to the fall in inflation, on-going economic fragility, reflecting uncertainty around the international outlook, could affect household spending later in the year."
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Wal-Mart has revealed that its efforts to turn around its apparel business is starting to gain traction after reporting its first full-year of positive comparable apparel sales in the US in seven year...
UK retailer Monsoon Accessorize has appointed former George at Asda and Marks & Spencer executive Kevin Rusling as its international director. ...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers during February was at its highest level since October 2010 according to figures released today by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing