US: RG Barry to consolidate footwear distribution
Slipper maker RG Barry Corporation is to shutter one of its distribution facilities as part of an expanded four-year deal with its logistics supplier.
Under the new agreement, UTi Integrated Logistics LLC will provide all warehousing and distribution services for RG Barry's footwear operating unit until the end of December 2016 - up from the 80% of services it already provides.
As part of the move, RG Barry will close its distribution facility in San Angelo, Texas, with the loss of 30 jobs.
"We gain added flexibility, speed to market and the ability to better meet our customers' needs by expanding our existing partnership with a logistics leader like UTi," said Glenn Evans, senior vice president of global operations.
He added: "This decision significantly increases our competitive edge by consolidating all of our footwear distribution adjacent to the port where our goods are received."
Strong Christmas demand for footwear lines like slippers have helped RG Barry Corporation to a 47.3% jump in second quarter profit, the company said yesterday (7 February)....
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth