UK: River Island Keeps Head Above Water
High street fashion retailer, River Island, today said it is seeing growth in a very tough UK trading market. Clive Lewis, chief executive of the privately-owned company, also revealed that menswear sales had improved, thanks to better design and detail. But he said it was too early to say that the general climate in the tough middle market was beginning to improve and things were going to be tough for a while to come. He said: "We are continuing to develop the business in a very tough middle-market. Both menswear and ladieswear have been pushing ahead and menswear has improved, but we must keep plugging away. "It is a long-term business and we must continue to do what we set out to, which is providing good fashion and good value in the high street." His comments come as the fashion group's latest report and accounts show that the company has managed to turn around falling turnover figures. River Island has spent the last two years refitting its 189 or so branches, giving them a more up-to-date look.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020