UK: River Island Keeps Head Above Water
High street fashion retailer, River Island, today said it is seeing growth in a very tough UK trading market. Clive Lewis, chief executive of the privately-owned company, also revealed that menswear sales had improved, thanks to better design and detail. But he said it was too early to say that the general climate in the tough middle market was beginning to improve and things were going to be tough for a while to come. He said: "We are continuing to develop the business in a very tough middle-market. Both menswear and ladieswear have been pushing ahead and menswear has improved, but we must keep plugging away. "It is a long-term business and we must continue to do what we set out to, which is providing good fashion and good value in the high street." His comments come as the fashion group's latest report and accounts show that the company has managed to turn around falling turnover figures. River Island has spent the last two years refitting its 189 or so branches, giving them a more up-to-date look.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022