UK: River Island Keeps Head Above Water
High street fashion retailer, River Island, today said it is seeing growth in a very tough UK trading market. Clive Lewis, chief executive of the privately-owned company, also revealed that menswear sales had improved, thanks to better design and detail. But he said it was too early to say that the general climate in the tough middle market was beginning to improve and things were going to be tough for a while to come. He said: "We are continuing to develop the business in a very tough middle-market. Both menswear and ladieswear have been pushing ahead and menswear has improved, but we must keep plugging away. "It is a long-term business and we must continue to do what we set out to, which is providing good fashion and good value in the high street." His comments come as the fashion group's latest report and accounts show that the company has managed to turn around falling turnover figures. River Island has spent the last two years refitting its 189 or so branches, giving them a more up-to-date look.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Update - Bangladesh "business as usual"
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar