US: Rocky Brands Q2 earnings slide
- Q2 earnings down to $1.5m
- Gross margin narrows to 32.8%
- Sales climb 15.8%
US apparel and footwear company Rocky Brands saw its earnings slide in the second-quarter due to investments made to grow its brands.
Earnings amounted to US$1.5m in the three months to the end of June. This compared to earnings of $1.8m a year earlier.
Gross margin narrowed to 32.8% of sales, from 34.2% in the same period last year. This was driven by lower wholesale margins due to costs associated with a seeding programme with a key retail partner, and lower retail gross margin resulting from the group's transition to a web based retail platform.
Second quarter sales, however, were up 15.8% to $68.8m, boosted by an increase of 23.7% in wholesale revenues, and a 3.1% increase in retail sales.
"The investments we've made towards growing our brands and overall business continue to fuel record top-line results," said CEO David Sharp. "As we move into the back half of 2014, we believe we can continue to drive growth through compelling and innovative product introductions and begin delivering improved profitability through gross margin expansion and increased operating expense leverage."
US apparel and footwear company Rocky Brands has more than doubled its fourth-quarter net profit, thanks to strong sales across all its business segments....
Rocky Brands, Inc. (Rocky) is a distributor of footwear and apparel. It designs, manufactures, and markets premium quality footwear and garments for outdoor, work, duty, military, western and lifestyl...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide