US: Ron Kirk to step down as Trade Representative
United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk is to step down in late February after nearly four years in the position.
A former Dallas Mayor, Kirk has headed the agency since March 2009, and is the first African American to hold the post.
"We have made great strides to bring about the President's vision of a more robust, responsible, and responsive trade policy that opens markets to products stamped 'Made-in-America' and enforces Americans' trade rights around the world - and does so in a way that is more consistent with America's core values on issues like the rights of workers and the environment," Ambassador Kirk said.
"In President Obama's first term, trade has been a major part of this Administration's efforts to support American jobs right here at home. I am proud of USTR's contribution to America's ongoing economic recovery."
The US trade representative is member of President Obama's cabinet and serves as the President's principal trade advisor, negotiator and spokesperson on trade issues.
The office of USTR is responsible for developing and overseeing US trade policy, including strategy, negotiation, implementation and enforcement of multilateral, regional/bilateral and sector-specific trade agreements.
Over the last four years these have included trade agreements with Korea, Colombia, and Panama, and the launch of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade negotiations.
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey