SOUTH AFRICA: Rose appointed to Woolworths board
Sir Stuart, who left the position of M&S chief executive in July 2010, and quit the chairman’s post on 4 January, is appointed to the board with effect from yesterday (19 January).
The move follows Sir Stuart joining Bridgepoint Capital in September last year to advise the private equity company on retail investments.
Meanwhile, Woolworths said first-half group sales had risen 9.8% in the six months to 26 December, with comparable store sales up 5.6%.
Clothing sales in South Africa were 11.5% higher, up 9.2% in comparable terms, prompting the company to predict H1 earnings up 17-20%.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The Pakistani government is being urged to take measures to discourage woven garment manufacturers and exporters from relocating their businesses to countries like Bangladesh and China....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read articles on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Outdoor clothing and footwear retailer Blacks Leisure Group Plc has agreed a temporary extension to its bank loans after seeing sales fall by nearly 11% since the start of its financial year....
Swedish fashion giant H&M Hennes & Mauritz AB has posted a 4% drop in June same-store sales, falling for just the second time in the past 12 months....
Resin supplier M&G Group is planning to build new PET and purified terephthalic acid plants in Corpus Christi, Texas in a move that brings significant additional PTA capacity to the US market....
Anand Sharma, India's Minister for Commerce & Industry, is to add the additional role of Minister of Textiles following last week's resignation of Dayanidhi Maran over his alleged involvement in the c...
Apparel company Levi Strauss & Co reversed the losses of a year ago in posting a profit for the second quarter, thanks to a double-digit surge in revenues....
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- $136m funding for Made in NY garment-making hub
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar