US: Ross Stores lifts outlook on Q1 profit growth
- Net earnings reached $234.6m, up from $208.6m
- Sales increased 8% to $2.54bn from $2.36bn
- Comparable store sales climbed 3%
- Company lifts full-year EPS to $3.70-3.81
Off-price retailer Ross Stores has raised its full-year earnings guidance after recording a 12% increase in first-quarter net profit, boosted by higher sales.
CEO and vice chairman Michael Balmuth said: "We are pleased with the slightly better-than-expected sales and earnings we delivered in the first quarter, especially considering this growth was achieved on top of strong prior year gains.
"These results continued to be driven by our ongoing ability to offer terrific bargains to today's value-oriented consumers."
Looking forward, the company now expects full-year earnings per share to be $3.70-3.81, compared to its previous guidance of $3.65 to $3.80.
For the second quarter, Ross Stores expects earnings per share to be $0.89 to $0.93, up on $0.81 last year and forecasts same store sales to edge up 1-2%.
Ross Stores has said it remains cautious in its outlook after the off-price retailer lowered its fourth-quarter earnings per share guidance, despite posting a rise in third-quarter net profit and sale...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis