US: Ross Stores Q1 profit up 19%, lifts guidance
Off-price retailer Ross Stores Inc has posted better-than-expected first quarter sales and earnings, helped by strict inventory and expense management, and has raised its guidance for the full year.
Pleasanton, California-based said net earnings for the quarter rose 18.7% to $79.5m from $67.0m in the same period last year, with earnings per share up 25% to $0.60 from $0.48.
A real estate settlement added about $o.02 per share during this year's first quarter.
Sales for the 13 weeks to 3 May grew 10% to $1.556bn, with comparable store sales up 3% over the prior year. Operating margin grew about 45 basis points to 8.2%.
Michael Balmuth, vice chairman, president and chief executive officer, said: "Business benefited as customers responded favourably to the fresh and exciting assortments of name brand bargains we offered.
"Dresses and shoes were the top performing merchandise categories during the period."
He continued: "Strong execution of our merchandising strategies, combined with strict inventory and expense management, were the primary drivers of our ahead-of-plan earnings during the quarter."
Looking ahead, the company is forecasting second quarter same store sales gains of 1% to 3% and earnings per share up 16% to 27% to between $0.43 and $0.47.
For the full year, earnings per share are projected in the range of $2.19 to $2.29, which would represent growth of 15% to 21% over last year's $1.90 per share.
Ross Stores operates 864 Ross Dress for Less stores and 54 dd's Discounts locations selling in-season, name brand and designer apparel, accessories and footwear.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
A tax adjustment helped The Bon-Ton Stores Inc narrow its third quarter loss, but declining sales have prompted the department store retailer to lower its full-year outlook....
The Children's Place Retail Stores Inc has nearly doubled its third quarter profit, helped by rising sales and a one-time gain from its exit of the Disney Store North America business....
Third quarter profit at youth fashion and footwear retailer The Buckle Inc has jumped by 31%, helped by soaring sales....
Third quarter earnings at The Wet Seal Inc came in at the high end of its forecasts, but the retailer says it expects to see lower sales and earnings in the fourth quarter....
Stage Stores Inc has swung to a third quarter loss, lowered its outlook for the year, and says it will cut capital spending in 2009....
Off-price retailer Ross Stores Inc has posted a 17.7% jump in third quarter profit, helped by higher margins, lower inventory and expenses, but cut its outlook for the fourth quarter in expectation of...
Tween Brands Inc has swung to a third quarter loss after being hit by restructuring charges, lower sales, and has withdrawn its outlook for the second half of 2008....
An increase in earnings and revenues from its Calvin Klein business helped Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation to a better-than-expected third quarter, but the apparel maker has lowered its fourth quarter...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar