US: Ross Stores Q4 profit down on lower sales
- Q4 profit down 7.9% to $218m
- Sales slip 0.7% to $2.74bn
- Comparable store sales up 2%
Off-price fashion retailer Ross Stores has reported a 7.9% drop in fourth-quarter profit, weighed down by lower sales and promotions.
Net earnings reached US$218m for the 13 weeks to 1 February, compared to $236.6m in the same period of the prior year. Sales edged down 0.7% to $2.74bn from $2.76bn last year, while comparable store sales climbed 2%.
Vice chairman and CEO Michael Balmuth said: "Our fourth quarter sales performed in line with our guidance, with earnings that were slightly better-than-expected primarily due to above-plan merchandise gross margin.
"Despite a very promotional retail environment throughout the holiday season, customers responded favourably to the compelling bargains we offered on a wide assortment of fresh and exciting name brand fashions and gifts."
During the full year, however, earnings increased 6.4% to $837.3m from $786.8m in the prior year period, while sales reached $10.23bn, up 5.2% from $9.72bn.
The company expects fiscal 2014 earnings per share to be $4.05-4.21, up from $3.88 in fiscal 2013, and sales are forecast to grow 1% to 2%.
"As we enter 2014, in addition to our own challenging multi-year sales and earnings comparisons, we also continue to face ongoing uncertainty in the macro-economic and retail climates," Balmuth added.
"While we remain well-positioned as an off-price retailer, these likely headwinds have prompted us to stay somewhat cautious in our outlook."
Value and individualism were top priorities for apparel consumers in 2013 and they proved this with their spending habits. Consumers flocked to retailers like Ross Stores and TJX where they are able ...
US off-price fashion retailer Ross Stores has booked fourth-quarter earnings and sales ahead of its expectations and offered a positive outlook for the next fiscal....
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead