US: Ross Stores records "strong" Q1 performance
- Q1 earnings up 4%
- Operating margin down 25 bps
- Sales increase 6%
Ross Stores said its Q1 earnings performed at the high end of its guidance
Ross Stores has booked what analyst say was a strong performance in the first quarter as strict inventory and expense control offset the negative impact from unfavorable weather and a challenging retail environment.
The off-price fashion retailer recorded net earnings of US$243.9m in the three months ended 3 May, up 4% from $234.6m in the prior year. Results were in-line with Stifel analyst estimates and at the high end of management guidance.
Operating margin for the quarter was better than forecast, declining 25 basis points to 14.6%.
First quarter sales increased 6% to $2.681bn, up from $2.54bn in the prior year quarter. Comparable store sales rose 1%.
CEO Michael Balmuth, said: "First quarter earnings per share performed at the high end of our guidance as strict inventory and expense controls offset the impact from unfavorable weather and a more challenging retail environment. Sales trends improved in April with more seasonal spring weather that coincided with the later Easter shopping period."
For its second-quarter, the company has established EPS guidance of $1.05-$1.09, in-line with analyst consensus and Stifel's estimate of $1.08.
Analyst Richard Jaffe noted: "Unseasonably cool weather, which held back consumers' desires for warm weather merchandise created a challenging retail environment. However, management was able to flow inventories strategically, feeding regions and categories where trends were stronger and maintaining lean inventories where business was softer. This limited the negative impact to gross margin. We believe this highlights the ongoing resilience and competitive strength of the off-price business model."
Value and individualism were top priorities for apparel consumers in 2013 and they proved this with their spending habits. Consumers flocked to retailers like Ross Stores and TJX where they are able ...
US off-price fashion retailer Ross Stores has booked fourth-quarter earnings and sales ahead of its expectations and offered a positive outlook for the next fiscal....
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide