US: Russell Brands to cut 190 jobs in restructuring
US sportswear manufacturer Russell Brands today (7 January) said it plans to lay off 190 workers as it looks to restructure its apparel decoration operations in Alexander City, Alabama.
The group employs 390 people at its Alexander City apparel decoration facility. Russell Brands, which is a Fruit of the Loom company, said the restructure will not impact its other operations in Alexander City.
"The competitiveness of the apparel market makes for a very difficult business environment and requires that we constantly seek the most cost-effective production available," said Tony Greeson, vice president of manufacturing.
"Unfortunately, the Alexander City decoration operation is no longer cost competitive relative to other production we have around the world.
"We are maintaining a decoration facility in Alexander City, but by restructuring the operations there, we can position the company to be more competitive."
The company's brand portfolio includes Russell Athletic, Jerzees, Spalding and Bike.
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- Bangladesh: The business benefits of compliance
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket