US: Russell Brands to cut 190 jobs in restructuring
US sportswear manufacturer Russell Brands today (7 January) said it plans to lay off 190 workers as it looks to restructure its apparel decoration operations in Alexander City, Alabama.
The group employs 390 people at its Alexander City apparel decoration facility. Russell Brands, which is a Fruit of the Loom company, said the restructure will not impact its other operations in Alexander City.
"The competitiveness of the apparel market makes for a very difficult business environment and requires that we constantly seek the most cost-effective production available," said Tony Greeson, vice president of manufacturing.
"Unfortunately, the Alexander City decoration operation is no longer cost competitive relative to other production we have around the world.
"We are maintaining a decoration facility in Alexander City, but by restructuring the operations there, we can position the company to be more competitive."
The company's brand portfolio includes Russell Athletic, Jerzees, Spalding and Bike.
The RFID tagging of apparel is now the largest and fastest growing application of RFID in retailing, the retail supply chain and associated industries. About 100 organizations are tagging apparel in t...
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report