BANGLADESH: Safety awareness continues to lag
Awareness of Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) issues needs to be built up in Bangladesh’s ready-made garment (RMG) sector, a workshop in the country was told.
Yesterday's (26 May) workshop, involving representatives of employers’ and workers’ organisations, plus other RMG stakeholders, aimed to offer an in-depth analysis of intervention plans and an understanding of factory-level realities.
It was jointly organised by Bangladesh’s Ministry of Labour and Employment, and the International Labour Organization (ILO) under the “Improving Working Conditions in the Ready-Made Garment Sector” programme.
“Building OSH awareness and strengthening of the OSH committees at the factory level are very important to secure workers’ safety,” said Md Mujibul Haque Chunnu, Minister of Labour and Employment.
“This is a proactive step by the Government of Bangladesh to spread awareness and vigilance at the factory level to ensure safety and reduce risk of fatal and costly accidents.”
Dutch Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Lilianne Ploumen added: “Well-functioning Occupational Safety and Health committees in factories are essential for the safety and health of workers and for this, I hope that these new committees are established in a fair and transparent manner with the appropriate representation of workers, including women.”
The Bangladeshi government and the ILO are currently implementing the 3.5-year, $24.21m programme, funded by Canada, the Netherlands and the UK.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details