BANGLADESH: Safety awareness continues to lag
Awareness of Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) issues needs to be built up in Bangladesh’s ready-made garment (RMG) sector, a workshop in the country was told.
Yesterday's (26 May) workshop, involving representatives of employers’ and workers’ organisations, plus other RMG stakeholders, aimed to offer an in-depth analysis of intervention plans and an understanding of factory-level realities.
It was jointly organised by Bangladesh’s Ministry of Labour and Employment, and the International Labour Organization (ILO) under the “Improving Working Conditions in the Ready-Made Garment Sector” programme.
“Building OSH awareness and strengthening of the OSH committees at the factory level are very important to secure workers’ safety,” said Md Mujibul Haque Chunnu, Minister of Labour and Employment.
“This is a proactive step by the Government of Bangladesh to spread awareness and vigilance at the factory level to ensure safety and reduce risk of fatal and costly accidents.”
Dutch Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Lilianne Ploumen added: “Well-functioning Occupational Safety and Health committees in factories are essential for the safety and health of workers and for this, I hope that these new committees are established in a fair and transparent manner with the appropriate representation of workers, including women.”
The Bangladeshi government and the ILO are currently implementing the 3.5-year, $24.21m programme, funded by Canada, the Netherlands and the UK.
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019