UK: Saffo To Relaunch Point Of Italy
They were selling colour straw baskets as essential fashion accessories light years before Lulu Guinness got around to the same idea this summer. In fact, designer Saffo Marchi started harnessing the traditional straw weaving skills of outworkers in the Carpi region of Italy to the needs of high fashion as far back as the mid-l950s. But Saffo and the company she founded to market her unique wares internationally have now moved on. Today the principal output of the Bologna-based group is knitwear, with own label collections produced for major retail chains in Germany and the Netherlands contributing a major share of its revenue. But side by side with its contract knitwear business, Saffo has continued to run its own labels, and now plans the UK relaunch of a brand that made its first appearance in l974. The name that will appear on this classically styled men's wear collection will be Point of Italy. The plan is to run it alongside the existing Saffo and Tessitore labels which their creators claim are now selling successfully through some 2000 outlets across the EU. Britain has been selected to spearhead the campaign to re-establish the Point of Italy name because it is felt that the use of luxury fibre yarns, combined with easy fitting garment styling and subtle colourways, is a look particularly suited to the taste of the better end UK consumer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective