UK: Saffo To Relaunch Point Of Italy
They were selling colour straw baskets as essential fashion accessories light years before Lulu Guinness got around to the same idea this summer. In fact, designer Saffo Marchi started harnessing the traditional straw weaving skills of outworkers in the Carpi region of Italy to the needs of high fashion as far back as the mid-l950s. But Saffo and the company she founded to market her unique wares internationally have now moved on. Today the principal output of the Bologna-based group is knitwear, with own label collections produced for major retail chains in Germany and the Netherlands contributing a major share of its revenue. But side by side with its contract knitwear business, Saffo has continued to run its own labels, and now plans the UK relaunch of a brand that made its first appearance in l974. The name that will appear on this classically styled men's wear collection will be Point of Italy. The plan is to run it alongside the existing Saffo and Tessitore labels which their creators claim are now selling successfully through some 2000 outlets across the EU. Britain has been selected to spearhead the campaign to re-establish the Point of Italy name because it is felt that the use of luxury fibre yarns, combined with easy fitting garment styling and subtle colourways, is a look particularly suited to the taste of the better end UK consumer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective