UK: Sainsbury’s approached by Qatar investment group
Supermarket retailer Sainsbury's is an investment target for a fund established by the Qatar Investment Authority.
The UK company confirmed it has received a preliminary approach from Qatar's Delta Two, which it said "may or may not lead to an offer being made for Sainsbury's".
Delta Two said it is in preliminary discussions with Sainsbury, related to the possibility of increasing its interest in Sainsbury by way of a cash offer to acquire the balance of the ordinary share capital of the company.
Paul Taylor, Principal of Three Delta, which is the strategic investment adviser to Delta Two in relation to the investment, said: "Three Delta is focused on strategic, long-term investments in exceptional businesses, principally in the UK, which have strong incumbent management teams, leading market positions and long-term growth opportunities. All of these criteria are met by Sainsbury.
"Three Delta has a high regard for the board, management and employees of Sainsbury and is supportive of the company's operational strategy. We are very pleased that the Fund, through Delta Two, has made a substantial investment in Sainsbury."
It has been reported by local press that Delta Two, which already owns about 25% of Sainsbury's, could offer around GBP12bn ($24.5bn) for the supermarket group, which sells the TU clothing range in stores throughout the UK.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
There was little Christmas cheer at M&S yesterday (9 January) after the retailer posted its worst quarterly results in more than two years. But are the figures symptomatic of problems at M&S specifica...
Shares in Tesco slipped by more than 3% this morning (15 January) after the company's domestic performance over Christmas and the New Year missed analysts' forecasts....
Supermarket chain Sainsbury's has posted a 5.9% rise in third quarter sales, thanks in part to a good Christmas period....
Sainsbury's has this morning (14 November) looked to the future with a set of robust half-year results and the announcement of a venture to develop its property portfolio....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016