UK: Sainsbury's clothing records Q1 sales growth
UK supermarket operator Sainsbury's said clothing sales grew during the first quarter, despite tough comparatives from the Jubilee and good weather last year.
The retailer recorded 5.2% clothing sales growth during the quarter ended 8 June.
A spokesperson for the retailer told just-style that lingerie recorded 21% sales growth, swimwear was up 48%, sales of dresses increased 48%, men's jackets increased 170%, and the range developed in collaboration with Gok Wan recorded a 28% sales increase.
Chief executive Justin King said the company's strategy of focusing on general merchandise categories which are complementary to its food offer is "helping us to gain market share", with non-food continuing to grow at twice the rate of food.
Overall sales grew 3.6%, while like-for-like sales grew 0.7% and market share reached 16.8%.
"This has been a solid performance in what continues to be a tough consumer environment. During the quarter we lapped some of our strongest performance of last year, culminating in the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and have extended our track record to 34 quarters of like-for-like growth," said King.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
Efforts to increase supply chain transparency should include closer collaboration and partnerships with suppliers, an industry event has heard....
UK retail giant Tesco today (2 October) reported a 23.5% decline in first-half pre-tax profits, prompting analysts to take a mixed view on its outlook. While some believe the retailer's strategic plan...
UK retailer Asda saw its third-quarter sales growth slow, but the business is looking to improve its clothing offer in store as part of a wider investment, according to one analyst....
Supermarket retailer Sainsbury's today (13 November) hailed "strong growth" in its general merchandise and clothing sales as it booked a 9.1% rise in first-half pre-tax profits....
UK fashion retailer Arcadia Group has added two trading directors to its BHS chain....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective