UK: Sainsbury's hails "record" clothing share, group LFL flat
Sainsbury's said the quarter had been characterised by a “very tough” sales environment
Sainsbury's achieved "record" levels of market share for its general merchandise and clothing business over the Christmas period, but group like-for-like sales remained flat.
In the 14 weeks to 4 January, the UK supermarket retailer booked like-for-like sales growth of 0.2%.
The group said its general merchandise and clothing business achieved "record" levels of market share and is now the eleventh largest retailer of clothing by value.
CEO Justin King said the quarter had been characterised by a "very tough" sales environment throughout October and November, with customers saving up to spend over the Christmas period.
Nonetheless, the grocer recorded total sales growth of 2.5% for the period, with 28m customer transactions in the seven day run up to Christmas. Sainsbury's said it sold more than a quarter of a million Christmas jumpers and more than 300,000 onesies.
"Monday 23rd December was the busiest day and saw our biggest trading hour, with customers spending nearly GBP17m," King said. "Also on the 23rd, Stanway in Essex was our first ever store to take GBP1m in sales in one day."
Internet retailing continued to expand rapidly in the UK in 2013 as sales made from tablets and smartphones drove much of this growth. Multichannel retailing has become a central plank of the overall ...
More than 200 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
The UK’s department stores are investing in the modernisation of their outlets with the aim of making them more attractive to consumers and incorporate aspects of multichannel retailing more effective...
Sales of grocery products through internet retailing and the online presence of Hungary’s grocery retailers remained limited for much of the review period, with G’Roby the only significant grocery ret...
The UK retailing industry registered positive growth in 2013 despite the fact that the economic climate in the country remained challenging as consumer spending habits remained under the influence of ...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020