UK: Sainsbury’s Q1 sales growth slows
Like-for-like sales growth at supermarket chain Sainsbury's slowed during the first quarter as the company faced up to what it called "the challenging economic environment".
However, non-food items continued to outpace the UK retailer's overall growth as expanded ranges were introduced into new retail space, while online sales were up 40%.
Sainsbury's said total sales were up 8.1% in the 12 weeks to 14 June, or 4.5% excluding fuel revenues.
That equated to a 7.3% rise in like-for-like sales, or 3.4% excluding fuel - down from 4.1% in the previous three-month period.
Chief executive Justin King said the "good" performance was in line with company expectations, but admitted that the global sales increases were in part driven by fuel price inflation.
He hailed the improved performance of Sainsbury's non-food merchandise in particular, also pointing to the surge in online sales.
"The challenging economic environment continued throughout the quarter," said King. "However, we are now serving nearly 18m customers a week and have delivered sales growth in line with our expectations.
"Whilst we anticipate that the environment will remain challenging, we operate from a strong financial position and our expectations for the full year remain unchanged."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Richard Jones, the executive credited with driving an aggressive expansion into clothing at UK supermarket group Sainsbury’s, has resigned to take a top post at arch rival Tesco it emerged today (24 J...
The last decade was marked by huge gains in ethical trade and consumerism, as many retailers and brands put worker welfare at the heart of their global supply chains. But was this just a luxury of a b...
UK retailer Woolworths Plc has begun a store closing sale today (11 December) at its 800 branches across the country as it looks increasingly unlikely that administrators will be able to sell the busi...
UK retailer Sainsbury's today (12 November) posted a rise in its half-year profits despite the "challenging" economic conditions....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report