US: Saks Q4 profit surges on strong sales
- Q4 profit increased 48% to $36.9m
- Q4 sales up 6.7% to $925.1m
- Full-year net income grew 56.3% to $74.7m
- FY sales rose 8.1% to $3bn.
Upscale retailer Saks Inc has seen its fourth-quarter net income surge on the back of strong sales of apparel, handbags, jewellery, fragrances and men's accessories.
"I am extremely pleased with our improved operating performance for both the fourth quarter and the fiscal year," said chairman and CEO Stephen Sadove.
"Our comparable store sales rose 7.7% in the fourth quarter, in line with our expectations and on top of an 8.4% comparable store sales increase in last year's fourth quarter. For the full fiscal year, our comparable store sales rose 9.5%, among the best in retail."
Profit in the three months to 28 January jumped 48% to US$36.9m, as sales rose 6.7% to $925.1m. Saks Direct posted 21% comparable-store sales growth.
For the full-year, net income increased 56.3% to $74.7m on the back of an 8.1% sales increase to $3bn. Gross margin expanded to 40.8%.
"We are pleased with our full year gross margin expansion of 70 basis points which reflected a healthier luxury environment, more full-priced selling, and reduced promotional activity," said chairman and CEO Stephen Sadove.
For 2012, the company is forecasting comparable-store sales of 5-7%, with gross margin to be "modestly higher" on the prior year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' June 2012 sales results. ...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' May 2012 sales results. ...
Retail group Saks posted a second quarter net loss of US$12.3m after being impacted by exceptional items, but saw its underlying losses also widen in comparison with last year....
Sycamore Partners has completed the acquisition of troubled women's wear chain The Talbots and appointed a new executive management team. ...
Perry Ellis International subsidiary PEI Licensing has signed a license agreement with The Kersheh Group division Vayola to design, manufacture and distribute Laundry by Shelli Segal branded sleepwear...
Luxury women's fashion brand Alberto Makali has selected NGC's Global Enterprise Suite as an integrated solution for PLM and ERP to help support its global growth....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre