US: Saks Q4 profit surges on strong sales
- Q4 profit increased 48% to $36.9m
- Q4 sales up 6.7% to $925.1m
- Full-year net income grew 56.3% to $74.7m
- FY sales rose 8.1% to $3bn.
Upscale retailer Saks Inc has seen its fourth-quarter net income surge on the back of strong sales of apparel, handbags, jewellery, fragrances and men's accessories.
"I am extremely pleased with our improved operating performance for both the fourth quarter and the fiscal year," said chairman and CEO Stephen Sadove.
"Our comparable store sales rose 7.7% in the fourth quarter, in line with our expectations and on top of an 8.4% comparable store sales increase in last year's fourth quarter. For the full fiscal year, our comparable store sales rose 9.5%, among the best in retail."
Profit in the three months to 28 January jumped 48% to US$36.9m, as sales rose 6.7% to $925.1m. Saks Direct posted 21% comparable-store sales growth.
For the full-year, net income increased 56.3% to $74.7m on the back of an 8.1% sales increase to $3bn. Gross margin expanded to 40.8%.
"We are pleased with our full year gross margin expansion of 70 basis points which reflected a healthier luxury environment, more full-priced selling, and reduced promotional activity," said chairman and CEO Stephen Sadove.
For 2012, the company is forecasting comparable-store sales of 5-7%, with gross margin to be "modestly higher" on the prior year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' June 2012 sales results. ...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' May 2012 sales results. ...
Retail group Saks posted a second quarter net loss of US$12.3m after being impacted by exceptional items, but saw its underlying losses also widen in comparison with last year....
Sycamore Partners has completed the acquisition of troubled women's wear chain The Talbots and appointed a new executive management team. ...
Perry Ellis International subsidiary PEI Licensing has signed a license agreement with The Kersheh Group division Vayola to design, manufacture and distribute Laundry by Shelli Segal branded sleepwear...
Luxury women's fashion brand Alberto Makali has selected NGC's Global Enterprise Suite as an integrated solution for PLM and ERP to help support its global growth....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015