USA: Saks Third Quarter Sales Rise 1.2 Per Cent
Saks total sales for the third quarter rose 1.2 per cent to $1.566bn from $1.547 bn last year. With comparable store sales increasing by 0.4 per cent for the quarter.The results were as expected, the company said, reflecting the continued improved operating performance in the Saks Fifth Avenue business, a decline in the year-over-year operating performance in the traditional department store business resulting from a difficult sales environment and extraordinary markdowns related to spring and summer merchandise clearance activities, and start-up expenses related to the saksfifthavenue.com business launched in September.During the quarter, the company successfully completed the consolidations of the McRae's and Herberger's home office operations into the Proffitt's and Carson Pirie Scott offices, respectively, and further streamlined the corporate organizational structure in the department store group.Saks also opened new stores in Fort Worth, Texas (Saks Fifth Avenue), Chevy Chase, Maryland (Saks Fifth Avenue Men's Store), Schaumburg, Illinois (Carson Pirie Scott), and Charleston, South Carolina (Parisian) totaling nearly 400,000 sq ft.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022