USA: Saks Third Quarter Sales Rise 1.2 Per Cent
Saks total sales for the third quarter rose 1.2 per cent to $1.566bn from $1.547 bn last year. With comparable store sales increasing by 0.4 per cent for the quarter.The results were as expected, the company said, reflecting the continued improved operating performance in the Saks Fifth Avenue business, a decline in the year-over-year operating performance in the traditional department store business resulting from a difficult sales environment and extraordinary markdowns related to spring and summer merchandise clearance activities, and start-up expenses related to the saksfifthavenue.com business launched in September.During the quarter, the company successfully completed the consolidations of the McRae's and Herberger's home office operations into the Proffitt's and Carson Pirie Scott offices, respectively, and further streamlined the corporate organizational structure in the department store group.Saks also opened new stores in Fort Worth, Texas (Saks Fifth Avenue), Chevy Chase, Maryland (Saks Fifth Avenue Men's Store), Schaumburg, Illinois (Carson Pirie Scott), and Charleston, South Carolina (Parisian) totaling nearly 400,000 sq ft.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective