UK: Sales Are Up At John Lewis
Department store, John Lewis, is reporting an increase in sales with figures up by around 6.1 per cent on last year. But the store, whose slogan is "Never Knowingly Undersold", says it could still do better and it is investing time and energy in improving its performance in the run-up to Christmas. Top seller is hard furnishings, which includes beds, computers, televisions and white goods, which were up by around 7.4 per cent, followed by fashion at around 5.2 per cent. A spokesman said: "We are working hard and getting ready for the pre-Christmas rush. There are a lot of things to take into account, including price deflation. "There are retailers doing better than us and there are those who are doing worse. We are doing OK, but we would like to do better." The John Lewis Partnership currently operates 25 department stores in and near major towns and cities across the UK from Aberdeen to Southampton and from Bristol to Norwich.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- $136m funding for Made in NY garment-making hub
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar