UK: Sales Are Up At John Lewis
Department store, John Lewis, is reporting an increase in sales with figures up by around 6.1 per cent on last year. But the store, whose slogan is "Never Knowingly Undersold", says it could still do better and it is investing time and energy in improving its performance in the run-up to Christmas. Top seller is hard furnishings, which includes beds, computers, televisions and white goods, which were up by around 7.4 per cent, followed by fashion at around 5.2 per cent. A spokesman said: "We are working hard and getting ready for the pre-Christmas rush. There are a lot of things to take into account, including price deflation. "There are retailers doing better than us and there are those who are doing worse. We are doing OK, but we would like to do better." The John Lewis Partnership currently operates 25 department stores in and near major towns and cities across the UK from Aberdeen to Southampton and from Bristol to Norwich.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack