US: Sales at sports chains top $10.5bn in 2013
US sporting goods chains saw sales of running/fitness, sports footwear, and apparel and accessories climb 6% to US$10.5bn in 2013.
New research from Leisure Trends, part of global information company The NPD Group, also showed running shoe sales saw unit sales increase 3% totaling $2.6bn.
Several other footwear categories, however, declined, including walking and multi-sport, which were down 32% to $23m, and down 16% to $171m, respectively.
On the strength of sportswear, which saw retail sales increase 14% to $2.7bn, overall apparel sales jumped almost 8% to $4.6bn.
Retail Sales Of Sporting Goods' Run/Fitness Products In The US Increased 6 Percent To $10.5 Billion In 2013
PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, February 18, 2014 - According to Leisure Trends, an NPD Group company, US sporting goods chain stores saw sales of running/fitness, sports footwear, and apparel and accessories reach $10.5 billion in 2013, an increase of 6 percent over 2012. Units ended the year up 4 percent, while average retail prices rose 2 percent.
Running shoe sales saw unit sales increase 3 percent, and dollar sales increase 1 percent, totaling $2.6 billion in 2013. Several other footwear categories declined, including walking and multi-sport, which were down 32 percent to $23 million, and down 16 percent to $171 million, respectively. The highlights in run/fitness footwear in 2013 were cross trainers, up 5 percent to $353 million, and casual sandals, up 17 percent to $280 million.
On the strength of sportswear, which saw retail sales increase 14 percent to $2.7 billion, overall apparel sales jumped almost 8 percent to $4.6 billion. Totaling $2.1 billion, accessories gained 10 percent compared to 2012. Growth in accessories were driven by headwear ($270 million, +25 percent), handwear ($56 million +14 percent) and socks ($735 million, +21 percent).
In 2013, run specialty retail dollar sales increased 2 percent to total $909 million. Unit sales fell 4 percent while average retail prices rose 6 percent. Most major categories experienced increases in revenue and decreases in units sold. Run specialty apparel units declined 2 percent, and dollar sales were down 1 percent at $95 million, while the average retail price increased 3 percent. In dollars, sportswear fell 1 percent, while running outerwear gained 8 percent. Run specialty accessories saw dollar sales reach $173 million in 2013, an increase of 1 percent, with unit sales falling 5 percent.
Original source: Leisure Trends
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis