UK: Sales on the up at JD Sports
Like-for-like sales are improving at retailer JD Sports Fashion, despite strongly contrasting trends from the company’s two main divisions.
The UK business said like-for-like sales for its core UK sports and fashion shops were up 1.5% in the 16 weeks to 17 November, up from a 1.1% increase in the six months to 28 July.
However, while sports outlets delivered like-for-like sales growth of 3.5%, fashion outlets were down 6.6%, reflecting what JD Sports called a “tough” trading environment.
The company highlighted the recent appointment of former Cotswold Outdoor buying and merchandising director Ken Reeve as the new MD of Blacks, adding that early signs following investment in stores were “encouraging for the future”.
In an analyst note, Investec Securities described the sports performance as good, adding: “We remain very confident for prospects here, given the good own-brand mix and growth opportunities both internationally and via multi-channel.”
JD Sports said it remained on track to deliver earnings in line with current expectations, but added that much depended on the vital Christmas trading period, which it will report on 10 January.
UK sportswear retailer JD Sports Fashion has seen its full-year pre-tax profit plummet, after losses at the Blacks Leisure outdoor clothing and equipment chain offset higher revenue....
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead