USA: Sara Lee Corporation Announces Settlement in Recall Litigation
Sara Lee Corporation announced today that the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, has preliminarily approved a settlement in a class action lawsuit involving the company's 1998 recall of certain packaged meat products. If approved by the Court later this year, the settlement reached by the parties will resolve all issues in both pending class action suits, including this one in Cook County as well as a separate class action suit filed in Wayne County, Michigan. Because these claims are still in litigation and because claims can be filed until September 1, 2000, the total dollar value of the settlements will not be known until later this year. However, Sara Lee believes that the total costs of claims filed under the settlements will not exceed $5 million. A toll-free number (1-800-804-7537) has been established for individuals seeking further information about the class action settlements. Sara Lee also announced that it recently settled five individual claims filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County for a total of $1.6 million. These were claims alleging personal injury related to the recalled product. Sara Lee has consistently challenged all claims related to its 1998 recall, and contends that the source of the illnesses was never firmly established. In settling these cases, the company does not admit to any wrongdoing, but has chosen to resolve the matter rather than to invest the additional time and resources that would be involved in a continued legal process. Sara Lee Corporation (
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing