USA: Sara Lee Corporation Announces Settlement in Recall Litigation
Sara Lee Corporation announced today that the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, has preliminarily approved a settlement in a class action lawsuit involving the company's 1998 recall of certain packaged meat products. If approved by the Court later this year, the settlement reached by the parties will resolve all issues in both pending class action suits, including this one in Cook County as well as a separate class action suit filed in Wayne County, Michigan. Because these claims are still in litigation and because claims can be filed until September 1, 2000, the total dollar value of the settlements will not be known until later this year. However, Sara Lee believes that the total costs of claims filed under the settlements will not exceed $5 million. A toll-free number (1-800-804-7537) has been established for individuals seeking further information about the class action settlements. Sara Lee also announced that it recently settled five individual claims filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County for a total of $1.6 million. These were claims alleging personal injury related to the recalled product. Sara Lee has consistently challenged all claims related to its 1998 recall, and contends that the source of the illnesses was never firmly established. In settling these cases, the company does not admit to any wrongdoing, but has chosen to resolve the matter rather than to invest the additional time and resources that would be involved in a continued legal process. Sara Lee Corporation (
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020