USA: Sara Lee Intimate Apparel Updates Barcode Process
Sara Lee Intimate Apparel has successfully tested and deployed a new printing solution that has eliminated the need for workers to visually validate the bar codes on its 36,000 shipments a day.
The manufacturer is also hoping to save more than $225,000 in retail compliance fines and give 100 per cent barcode scanability and verification on its outbound cartons to retail giant Sears Roebuck & Co.
"Our barcode failure rate has dropped to next to nothing in three short months, and we're saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees year over year," said Brad Kennedy, manager of logistics, Sara Lee Intimate Apparel.
Sara Lee Intimate Apparel manufactures and distributes 70 per cent of the intimate apparel sold through retail and private labels in the United States, such as Bali, Barely There, Playtex and Wonderbra. The company also manufacturers 90 per cent of the products it sells, using nine separate facilities in the Caribbean Basin to ensure patent security.
The installation of Printronix's T5000(e) thermal printer with Online Data Validation (ODV) has resulted in enhanced barcode quality and provides a streamlined system to scan products and make corrections online.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
Manufacturing giant Sara Lee Corp's branded apparel unit plans to axe 350 jobs from the division that makes Champion sportswear and intimate apparel under the Bali, Playtex, L'eggs and Wonderbra brand...
US retail group Sara Lee Corporation has named Frank van Oers as a vice president of the corporation, with immediate effect....
Large-scale manufacturer Sara Lee has posted a 50 per cent plummet in third-quarter profit, affected by sluggish clothing sales and high commodity costs....
Brand-name merchandise manufacturer and marketer Sara Lee Corp has whittled the number of potential buyers for its European apparel division down to two, according to sources familiar with the situati...
Sears Holdings Corp and Latina Media Ventures, which publishes Latina magazine, have signed a deal to launch an apparel, footwear and bag collection aimed at Hispanic women....
Chief executive of US department store operator JC Penney, Myron Ullman, says the company is to turn its focus to mid-income shoppers who are forming an available market niche due to mergers among its...
Apparel company VF Corp has set up a new company in partnership with designer John Varvatos after two years of uncertainty over Varvatos's brand, according to executives quoted by the New York Post....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022