UK: Scottish Co-operation Pays Dividends
The decision of a dozen of Scotland's leading textile manufacturers to act collectively in support of their own Scottish fashion industry is now paying dividends for the weavers. Additional orders have been placed both at and after the recent Paris-based Premiere Vision textile trade fair says Julia Scott-Barrett, official spokeswoman for the recently formed Scottish Textiles Network. The story of the Network begins earlier this year with the Intervention fashion festival held in Glasgow. A key event of the festival was a catwalk show staged by Scottish designers using fabric from the current collections of the l2 weavers who would subsequently show in Paris as part of the Scottish Textiles Network's corporate promotion. "The publicity generated by the show, internationally as well as locally, focused attention on the talent which today puts the work of Scottish designers at the cutting edge of what's happening in both men's and women's wear," says Julia. "As a result, by the time the Paris show came round buyers were more than usually aware of what can be achieved not only with traditional Scottish fabrics such as tweeds and tartans, but with the contemporary 'cutting edge' cloths now also emanating from the mills of Scottish weavers," she adds. "Each of the twelve exhibitors from Scotland report added interest in their wares and the majority took orders well in excess of anticipated levels, especially as, like their English counterparts, Scottish exhibitors are still struggling against the economic pressures of a continuingly strong pound."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Technology key to shopper experience
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022