UK: Scottish Co-operation Pays Dividends
The decision of a dozen of Scotland's leading textile manufacturers to act collectively in support of their own Scottish fashion industry is now paying dividends for the weavers. Additional orders have been placed both at and after the recent Paris-based Premiere Vision textile trade fair says Julia Scott-Barrett, official spokeswoman for the recently formed Scottish Textiles Network. The story of the Network begins earlier this year with the Intervention fashion festival held in Glasgow. A key event of the festival was a catwalk show staged by Scottish designers using fabric from the current collections of the l2 weavers who would subsequently show in Paris as part of the Scottish Textiles Network's corporate promotion. "The publicity generated by the show, internationally as well as locally, focused attention on the talent which today puts the work of Scottish designers at the cutting edge of what's happening in both men's and women's wear," says Julia. "As a result, by the time the Paris show came round buyers were more than usually aware of what can be achieved not only with traditional Scottish fabrics such as tweeds and tartans, but with the contemporary 'cutting edge' cloths now also emanating from the mills of Scottish weavers," she adds. "Each of the twelve exhibitors from Scotland report added interest in their wares and the majority took orders well in excess of anticipated levels, especially as, like their English counterparts, Scottish exhibitors are still struggling against the economic pressures of a continuingly strong pound."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report