EU: Seal fur ban threatened by committee vote
The European Parliament's internal market committee has voted for a complete ban on selling, importing and exporting seal furs within the EU, rejecting compromise proposals for a labelling regime.
"In practice, seal products such as bags, hats, boots and gloves used by motorcyclists, skiers and boxers would be outlawed," said a committee communiqué.
Only sales of certain traditional products made by Inuit in Russia, Greenland, Canada and Alaska would be permitted. The full parliament votes next on the issue in April.
By Keith Nuthall.
The old adage "fail to plan, plan to fail" is more true today than ever before. And in tight times, accurate planning is the single biggest factor that will influence an apparel company's success or f...
Most garment suppliers are quick to blame their declining exports on the recession. But what if the problem is not the recession but rather a major long-term shift in the market? For the dominant few,...
Cambodia's textile and garment exports continued to fall during the first half this year as the country was hit by both the global economic crisis and its internal instability....
A new free trade deal signed between India and the Asean bloc will cut and eventually eliminate tariffs on a range of products including textiles and ready-made garments....
Thailand's textile and garment exports declined substantially in the second quarter and first half of 2009, largely due to the global economic crisis....
German exports of woven garments and knitwear to Russia fell by 6% year-on-year in the first quarter of 2009, after retailers cancelled orders worth some EUR23m....
One of Indonesia's largest garment makers, PT Eratex Djaja, is to close a factory with the loss of 400 workers after running into financial problems, according to local media reports....
Apparel exports from Bangladesh jumped 15.4% in the fiscal year to 30 June, according to official figures released this week, as buyers in the US and EU turned to the country for its low-priced garmen...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack