CANADA: Sears Canada Q4 profit declines 2.7%
- Q4 net income down 2.7% to CAD39.9m (US$38.9m) from CAD41m
- Revenue declined 5% to CAD1.3bn from CAD1.37bn
- Same store sales declined 3.8%.
Retailer Sears Canada has posted a decline in its fourth-quarter profit despite positive same store sales growth in its apparel and accessories business.
Although total same store sales slipped 3.8% during the quarter, the decline was smaller than the same period last year when same store sales fell 7.4%.
Sears Canada president and CEO Calvin McDonald noted that "same store sales performance in the fourth quarter improved over the three prior quarters."
He added: "Of particular note was the positive same store sales growth of our apparel and accessories business in the quarter compared to the fourth quarter last year. Inventory quality at the end of the quarter improved compared to the same time last year, as a result of a significant reduction in out-of-season inventory."
However, the positive apparel and accessories same store sales growth failed to offset a decline in home electronics and hardware sales.
"While the revenues and adjusted EBITDA in 2012 were disappointing, we have said from the outset that our transformation is a three-year journey," McDonald emphasised.
Full-year net earnings reached CAD101.2m for the quarter to 2 February, compared to a loss of CAD50.3m last year. Revenues reached CAD4.30bn, down 6.9% from CAD4.62bn the previous year.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report