US: Sears Holdings forecasts quarterly and FY losses
Sears has been working on a transformation programme
Struggling retailer Sears Holdings has said it expects to report a net loss in the fourth quarter as the transition of the business continues.
In a trading update, Sears said it expects to report a net loss for the quarter ending 1 February of between US$250m and $360m, or between $2.35 and $3.39 loss per diluted share.
This compares to a loss in the prior year quarter of $489m, or $4.61 loss per diluted share. This included a non-cash charge of $455m related to pension settlements, non-cash impairment charges of $330m and other adjustments.
For the full year, Sear is expecting a net loss of between $1.3bn and $1.4bn from losses of $930m in fiscal 2013.
Total domestic comparable store sales for the quarter were down 7.4%, comprising of a 5.7% decrease at Kmart and 9.2% at Sears domestic.
"As previously stated, we are transitioning from a business that has historically focused on running a store network into a business that provides and delivers value by serving its members in the manner most convenient for them: whether in store, in home or through digital devices," the company said.
"We believe that we are making progress in this transformation, as we are seeing continued increases in our 'Shop Your Way' member engagement metrics with 69% of our sales in the nine-week period ended 4 January 2014 derived from members as compared to 58% last year."
More than 150 companies have now signed the new Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in April last year, which killed more than 1,...
Sears Holdings Corporation (SHLD) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compi...
US retailer Sears Holdings Corporation has appointed former Dell executive William Hutchinson as head of its supply chain business....
Kmart Corporation - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed SW...
US retailer Sears Holdings Corporation has received US$500m from the spin off of its Lands' End apparel business....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
The board of Sears Holdings has approved a deal to spin off the company's Lands' End clothing business, which it acquired more than ten years ago....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Tesco takes second stab at US market with F&F
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Banana Republic taps former J Crew designer
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects