US: Sears Q3 loss widens on weaker sales
- Q3 loss widens to $498m
- Revenue declined 5.8% to $8.9bn
Retailer Sears Holdings, which divested its Hometown and Outlet businesses last month, has seen its third-quarter net losses widen on the back of weaker sales.
The company's net loss widened to US$498m during the 13 weeks to 27 October, compared to $425m in the same period last year. Operating loss narrowed to $428m, compared with $447m during the same quarter last year.
Revenue declined 5.8% to $8.9bn, which the company blamed on having fewer Kmart and Sears full-line stores in operation. Comparable store sales slipped 1.6%.
"In February, we laid out a number of actions intended to generate more than $1bn of additional liquidity, improve our financial performance and unlock value," said CFO Rob Schriesheim.
"We have executed against these goals, are on track to generate $1.8bn of additional liquidity and improved our EBITDA by $271m through the first three quarters of this fiscal year as compared to the same period last year."
During the quarter, the board of Sears Holdings approved the spin-off of 44.5% of its 95.5% stake in Sears Canada.
European retailers C&A, Kik and El Corte Ingles will contribute to a compensation plan for the victims of the Tazreen Fashions fire in Bangladesh in November last year. ...
US retailer Sears Holdings has launched a business unit that will work on developing entertainment-driven fashion and lifestyle brands....
The online and luxury segments are set to provide a silver lining in what is an otherwise gloomy outlook for Australia's fashion industry, according to research released by IbisWorld. ...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015