US: Sears sales fall but Q4 losses narrow
- Q4 losses narrow to US$358m
- Gross margin down
- Net sales drop to $10.6bn
Sears said it will continue to enhance its financial flexibility
Struggling retailer Sears Holdings managed to narrow losses in its fourth-quarter, despite booking a drop in revenues.
Net losses amounted to US$358m in the three months ended 1 February. This compares to net losses of $489m in the prior year period. The improvement was helped by store closures and garnering more business via its loyalty programme.
Gross margin decreased $681m to $2.5bn as a result of a $1.7m decline in sales to $10.6bn.
Revenues were down primarily due to lower domestic comparable store sales, in addition to having fewer Kmart and Sears Full-line stores in operation.
CEO Edward Lampert said: "Looking ahead, we will continue to enhance our financial flexibility to support and drive our transformation. While transformations of this size are challenging, and our financial results do not currently reflect our progress in member engagement, we believe the changes we are making through Shop Your Way and integrated retail will benefit us in the changing retail landscape."
Some 190 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people last yea...
Abstract About Children’s and Infant Wear Children's wear refers to clothing for children aged between 0 months to 10 years. It includes apparel such as outerwear, underwear, nightwear, socks and t...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
Australia's competition regulator has given the green light to Wesfarmers' takeover of Pacific Brands workwear division....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket