USA: Sears Shifts Ad Focus From Prices
The retailer wants to avoid competition with discounters such as Target and Wal-Mart - a battle that has driven down its profits over the past financial year.
Sears, the US's fourth-largest retailer, is suffering from the difficult consumer spending environment, said Jeffrey M Feiner, an analyst at Lehman Brothers.
"Relatively speaking, Sears is holding its own," he added, "but that's still not as much as investors would like."
Sears results for July showed a 2.5 per cent decline in total sales and a three per cent decline in sales at stores open for over a year, known in the industry as same-store sales. In the same quarter, Sears' revenue from retailing, its mainstay money-maker, fell 1.1 per cent from the corresponding period of 2000.
To view related research reports, please follow the links below:-
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Wal-Mart is famous for its everyday low prices. The world's largest company continues to dramatically transform the retail landscape by exploring new growth avenues, selling new categories of merchand...
For the past 20 years Wal-Mart has redefined the way most retailers and manufacturers across channels and categories have done business. Every apparel company has been affected thanks to the retail gi...
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
US retail giant Wal-Mart says it plans to expand its retail and export operations in China in 2005, with up to 15 store openings and Chinese exports worth $18 billion anticipated, AFX News reported....
Retail giant Wal-Mart has missed expectations with a disappointing set of first-quarter results....
Sears Holdings Corp and Latina Media Ventures, which publishes Latina magazine, have signed a deal to launch an apparel, footwear and bag collection aimed at Hispanic women....
Chief executive of US department store operator JC Penney, Myron Ullman, says the company is to turn its focus to mid-income shoppers who are forming an available market niche due to mergers among its...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic apparel maker, has started selling shoes in Wal-Mart under its new Starter brand....
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar