USA: Sephora, Federated And Macy's Settle Trade Dress Lawsuit
Sephora USA LLC, Federated Department Stores, Inc, and Macy's West, Inc announced today that they have settled the trade dress litigation initiated by Sephora. The litigation began in August 1999 when Sephora sued Federated and Macy's West, alleging that Macy's Souson stores and in-store Souson departments infringed Sephora's distinctive trade dress. The case had been scheduled to go to trial in September. The terms of the settlement are confidential. Sephora, whose distinctive cosmetics and fragrance stores first opened in Paris in 1996, is today one of the largest fragrance and cosmetic retailers in Europe, with over 200 stores. Sephora USA LLC is a unit of the Selective Distribution Group of Paris-based LVMG Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the world's leading luxury products group. Sephora, which opened its first United States store in New York City in 1997, now operates 53 stores in the United States, and its on-line beauty site at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- $136m funding for Made in NY garment-making hub
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar