UK: September clothing retail sales hit by hot weather
UK retail like-for-like sales were up 0.3% year-on-year in September, but clothing sales were hit hard by hot weather, according to new figures.
The British Retail Consortium (BRC)-KPMG Retail Sales Monitor data released today (11 October) showed a rise in total sales of 2.5% on last September, compared to a 2.2% increase last year.
Meanwhile, non-food non-store (internet, mail order and phone) sales growth fell back on August’s figures, rising 10.1% compared to a 12.6% increase last month and a 19.1% hike last September.
“In these harsh times, we have to be thankful for this minor improvement in growth compared with August, but underlying conditions remain weak,” said Stephen Robertson, BRC director general.
“Spending growth is below inflation, meaning customers are buying less than this time last year.”
Helen Dickinson, head of retail at KPMG, pointed out that, despite the weak performance from the clothing sector, schoolwear and shoes did well, thanks to the start of the new academic year.
She said: “As we are entering the crucial season in the run-up to Christmas, the outlook may be described as ‘hopeful’, but that’s as good as it gets, I am afraid.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report